On January 1, 2011, I wrote this post. So, as promised, I’m revisiting it. I was on a false high, and in complete denial about just how bloody miserable I was. I was also convinced that I would have achieved everything on my list. Well, that didn’t happen – but for once I’m not full of woe and self-recriminations.
This year has been a hell of a ride. I left The Worst Job in the World™ and, instead of wallowing, I slapped myself around a little then stood up. I held my head high, took a deep breath, set my shoulders back and my chin in the air, and Changed My Life.
With a little help from my friends, and a LOT of love, support and encouragement from my husband, my family and my splendid friends, I started my own business. Sunflower Communications was born in April 2012, and has been so successful so far that I can’t quite believe it.
Then, I became part-owner of Wylie’s, The Ironmongers with the fabulous Charlie Collett. Which was unexpected but brilliant. I’ve always wanted a shop. Next year will be super busy…
2012 has been the hardest, in places worst, but generally best and most rewarding and satisfying year of my life. So I will forgive myself for not achieving everything on last year’s list:
- Try something new at least once a week.
Not quite once a week, but I have tried something new very often indeed. And each time, it’s enriched my life, even if I didn’t like it. Plus, this little resolution gave me burlesque, and a group of fan-bloody-tastic, strong, clever, funny, kind ladies who I love very much.
- Buy more music.
This, I achieved. Florence and the Machine, Nina Simone, Imelda May, Propeller Heads, dubstep, Scroobius Pip…
- Spend more time with my family.
This, too, I achieved. But it’s on this year’s list too.
- Go to more gigs.
Although I did probably go to more gigs than I did in 2011, I would like to see more live music.
- Improve my wardrobe: instead of purchasing several cheap items of clothing from random high street shops, spend a similar amount of money on one item that is beautiful, well-made, and will last.
I achieved this – and made my own clothes too! Long may this continue.
- Motorcycle road trip around Europe with some good friends.
This was quite good fun 🙂
- Become a bloody brilliant pole dancer.
Well, I don’t know about bloody brilliant, but I’ve certainly improved enormously. Which pleases me enormously.
- Go clubbing several times.
I did this. It was okay.
- Cultivate an aura of calm togetherness.
I don’t think that this is ever going to happen!
- Embrace the fact that I am now a corporate whore.
I’m not! I’m not! I am a small business owner, and I am HAPPY.
- Run at least one half-marathon.
Oops… This year though, for sure.
- Be a better, kinder, funnier person.
I hope I have achieved this last one. I’ve worked hard.
Resolutions for 2013
This year, I am being a little more realistic. I’ve made a few resolutions over at my Sunflower blog, but they’re mostly business related. Here are my personal resolutions.
- Get away for a week with Joe. Just the two of us.
- Spend more time with our families, especially my lovely brother, his fabulous fiancée and my little niece Ella.
- Run more. I’ve joined Park Run, and I want to do a half-marathon next year, and perhaps a full marathon the year after. Perhaps.
- Read more books.
- Pay off the credit card.
- Spend more time camping and walking and bicycling and picnicking with good friends.
- More improvements in yoga and pole.
- Make more time for studying.
- Continue enjoying burlesque!
- Write more. Blog more. Rediscover my love for writing about science.
Happy new year
Happy new year readers. I wish you all the very best for 2013; and if life throws terrible things at you, I wish you the strength and courage to emerge from them stronger, with grace, and with your heads held high.
Big love. Peace out.